I firmly believe that everyone is born with awesome potential. For most of us, along the way we become the result of negative circumstances which impacts our thinking and our expectations of ourselves and our future. This is sad because everyone loses out in the end, ourselves, our families, our communities and ultimate our country. Our goal at BBN is to help South Africans strive towards making the next five years, the years that they discover much more of their true potential. I remember a lady who showed me her collage a while after attending one of our workshops. On the bottom she had a row of tombstones illustrating that she was dead in the past with no future and no hope, like the many people who take their potential to the grave. Pointing to the centre she said this is where I am now, full of hope, people jumping up and down with excitement, exuding confidence and energy of big dreams and good expectations. Then she pointed to the top to where she was heading, happy family pictures, role model, a nice house, money in the bank and a life of giving and receiving and leaving a legacy. I asked her to tell her story to the whole class at our next workshop and everyone learnt something very positive from her story. Here are a few tips on unlocking your potential:
- Watch what you feed into your mind. Rubbish in, Rubbish Out. Good stuff in, Good stuff out. You will become the result of your thoughts. Make sure you are in charge of your thoughts all the time.
- Build up a strong belief system. One that sees yourself as the person you wish to become.
- Since only a small percentage of our minds is ever used, there is no end to the abundance of your mind once you make it your very best friend. Keep filling it with the good stuff.
- Read biographies of people who struggled but overcame their challenges to achieve their dreams, often beyond their expectations. This will make you think about your own potential and plans to achieve your big dreams.
- Work on your attitude. Make it your second best friend. Your attitude in every circumstance will determine your future. Greet yourself in the morning, when looking in the mirror as your very best friend. In this way you prime your attitude to see challenges as opportunities.
- Make a collage of where you were, where you currently are and where you are going. A piece of cardboard, relevant pictures and some glue is all you need. Hang it in a place where you can spend a few minutes building your resolve before you begin the new day.